At Bloomberg Law, we’re looking to the future, at the next generation of legal talent.
In September 2020, we launched a new editorial series entitled “They’ve Got Next,” highlighting young lawyers changing the landscape in various practice areas ranging from labor & employment to intellectual property to tax.
In the wake of the success of this ongoing editorial series, we’re now thrilled to launch “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40,” Bloomberg Law’s first award recognizing the accomplishments of sterling young lawyers nationwide.
Age Requirements: Bloomberg Law’s “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40” will recognize 40 outstanding lawyers across the United States, who are age 40 and under as of April 1, 2021.
Practice and Geography Requirements: To qualify for this awards program, lawyers must be engaged in the full-time practice of law at a law firm, company, government agency or non-profit in the United States.
Successful Applicants: Successful applicants will be young lawyers with track records of success in significant client matters. These lawyers will also:
- Earn the respect of more senior team members by successfully establishing early ownership of key roles in client matters – (i.e. handling a cross-examination in a significant trial, writing a winning brief in a high-stakes appeal, or leading a key aspect of a major transaction.)
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in their law firms, companies and beyond, through firm leadership roles and through pro bono service to their communities.
- Display new ways of thinking about their legal practices through innovation and/or thought leadership.
- Demonstrate tangible support for and participation in diversity and inclusion efforts at their law firms, companies or non-profits.
Nomination Limits: An employer may nominate one attorney. Attorneys may also self nominate or nominate one attorney colleague. (Update: We will consider a maximum of 2 attorneys per law firm, company or non-profit.)
To submit, please include the following. Please note, the word count will be strictly observed.
- A short biography, including the applicant’s name, birthdate (month, day & year), current employer, current job title (i.e. associate, partner, of counsel) and key accomplishments. (500 words or less)
- An essay demonstrating the applicant’s qualifications for the award. Please address points outlined in “Successful Applicants” section. (1000 words or less)
- Two brief letters of recommendation from clients, attorney mentors or other senior attorneys (500 words or less each.) A digital, high resolution, professional headshot.
The answers to the following four questions:
- What is the most important lesson you learned as a first-year attorney and how does it inform your practice today? (200 words or less)
- How do you define success in your practice? (150 words or less)
- What are you most proud of as a lawyer? (200 words or less)
- Who is your greatest mentor in the law and what have they taught you? (150 words or less)
Deadline: Please e-mail your nominations in a Word document to: Submissions@bloombergindustry.com by 6 p.m. EST on Feb. 21, 2021.
To contact the reporter on this story:
To read more articles log in.