At Bloomberg Law, we’re proud of our continuing efforts to highlight the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
We’re thrilled to announce our call for 2022 nominations for “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40,” Bloomberg Law’s special report recognizing the accomplishments of sterling young lawyers nationwide. (You can check out our July 2021 inaugural edition here.)
Age Requirements: Bloomberg Law’s “They’ve Got Next: The 40 Under 40” will recognize 40 outstanding lawyers across the United States, who are age 40 and under as of August 2, 2022.
Practice and Geography Requirements: To qualify for this award, lawyers must be engaged in the full-time practice of law at a law firm, company, government agency or non-profit based in the United States. (Lawyers working abroad for U.S.-based law firms, companies, government agencies or non-profits may also apply.)
Successful Applicants: Successful applicants will be young lawyers with track records of success in significant, high-impact client matters. These lawyers will also:
- Earn the respect of more senior team members by successfully establishing early ownership of key roles in client matters. For instance, successful applicants may have led key aspects of major transactions. They may have written winning briefs in high-stakes appeals or they may have handled key elements of significant trials.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in their law firms, companies and communities, through firm leadership roles and pro bono service.
- Show tangible support for and participation in diversity and inclusion efforts at their law firms, companies or non-profits.
- Demonstrate new ways of thinking about their legal practices through innovation and/or thought leadership.
Nomination Limits: An employer may nominate one attorney. Attorneys may also self nominate or nominate one attorney colleague. Note: We will consider a maximum of two attorneys per law firm, company or non-profit for the award.
To submit, please include the following. Please note, the word count will be strictly observed.
- A short biography. The biography must include the applicant’s name, birth date (month, day & year), current employer, current job title (i.e. associate, partner or of counsel) and key accomplishments (500 words or less).
- An essay demonstrating the applicant’s qualifications for the award. Please address points outlined in “Successful Applicants” section (1000 words or less).
- Two brief letters of recommendation. Letters can come from clients, attorney mentors, practice group leaders or other senior attorneys (500 words or less each).
- A digital, high resolution, professional headshot.
The answers to the following four questions:
- What is the most important lesson you learned as a first-year attorney and how does it inform your practice today? (200 words or less)
- How do you define success in your practice? (150 words or less)
- What are you most proud of as a lawyer? (200 words or less)
- Who is your greatest mentor in the law and what have they taught you? (150 words or less)
Please e-mail your nominations in a Word document to: Submissions@bloombergindustry.com by our extended deadline of 8 p.m. EST on Monday, March 14, 2022.
Note: Please check your submissions to be sure they conform to the criteria before submitting them. We will not consider nominations received after 8 p.m. on Monday, March 14, 2022.
To contact the reporter on this story: