The Pentagon said it was permanently cutting about 4,000 soldiers from Europe as part of a broader review of forces that has generated anxiety among US allies on the continent and elsewhere in the world.
The analysis is meant to push NATO allies “to take primary responsibility for Europe’s conventional defense,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement on Tuesday evening.
The cut will bring the number of US Army Brigade Combat Teams stationed on the continent from four to three, which is equal to 2021 levels, Parnell added.
The announcement follows last week’s suspension of the rotational deployment ...
