Bloomberg Law
Jan. 18, 2019, 8:19 PM

Beef Processor Fined $183K After Worker Burned by Ammonia

Christopher Brown
Christopher Brown
Staff Correspondent

A Nebraska beef processor is facing $183,000 in fines following an accident in which a worker was severely burned by exposure to an industrial refrigerant.

Noah’s Ark Processors LLC failed to properly manage hazards associated with anhydrous ammonia, a highly hazardous chemical, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

OSHA cited the company for 16 serious violations of federal safety rules.

“When employers fail to properly document procedures and control highly hazardous chemicals, there is the potential for unintentional releases that can result in serious and fatal injuries,” Jeff Funke, OSHA’s area director in Omaha, Neb., said in a ...