Bloomberg Tax
Free Newsletter Sign Up
Bloomberg Tax
Welcome
Go
Free Newsletter Sign Up

Trump ‘Purged’ of Contempt in N.Y. Subpoena Case, Judge Says (1)

June 29, 2022, 9:47 PM

Donald Trump is no longer in contempt of court for failing to respond to a subpoena in New York’s probe of his company’s assets, a judge ruled, formally resolving a dispute with the state attorney general that resulted in $110,000 in fines against the former president.

Affidavits filed last week by Trump Organization employees outlining record retention policies at the real estate business have “purged” him of contempt, Justice Arthur Engoron in Manhattan ruled Wednesday.

The judge in April held Trump in contempt of court for failing to turn over any records related to potentially fraudulent asset valuations at his sprawling company. The judge said Trump and others at his company needed to sign affidavits explaining the search process.

Read More: Trump Asset Value Probe ‘Well Founded,’ Appeals Court Says

Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba, said she would pursue an appeal.

“Although we are pleased that the court has lifted the contempt finding, we maintain that it was wholly unwarranted and improper in the first place,” Habba said in a statement. “We will push ahead with our appeal to secure justice for our client.”

Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump are set to be deposed next month after losing a lawsuit to avoid being questioned under oath by New York Attorney General Letitia James, who has been probing the company since 2019.

The case is New York v. Trump Organization, 2022-00814, Supreme Court of the State of New York (Manhattan).

(Updates with comment from Trump’s lawyer.)

To contact the reporter on this story:
Erik Larson in New York at elarson4@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story:
Katia Porzecanski at kporzecansk1@bloomberg.net

Peter Jeffrey

© 2022 Bloomberg L.P. All rights reserved. Used with permission.