IRS Says Improper Child Tax Credit Payments Can Be Returned

July 20, 2021, 7:15 PM

Families who aren’t eligible for the advance child tax credit but still received a payment can either return that money to the government now or pay it back when they file their tax returns next year, according to the IRS.

To immediately return the money, individuals can follow instructions the IRS provided on its website for sending back incorrectly distributed stimulus checks, an agency spokesperson told Bloomberg Tax in an email Tuesday. Families who cashed the payments or received them through direct deposit can submit a personal check or money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” to the appropriate IRS ...

To read the full article log in. To learn more about a subscription click here.